Based on Jim DeKorne's "Psychedelic Shamanism"
DeKorne says he discovered that you could make a smokable extract by accident,
after leaving an extract intended for ayahuesque use out where the alcohol
evaporated, leaving "a gummy tar" which he "on a sudden whim" decided to
smoke. "I took one inhalation of this essence and found my mind immediately
blasted into a cerebral hurricane of rapidly pulsing white light. Fortunately,
I already knew what a DMT flash is like, so I was not totally taken by
His idea of extraction is this:
He was smoking 50mg of this goo at a shot.
- Pulverize the grass clippings
- Add water, "enough... to make a pourable soup"
- Acidify to pH 5 or so
- (Optional) Simmer the acidified soup in a slow cooker overnight,
not allowing the liquid to evaporate. ("It may take two or three
such operations to get all of the alkaloids into solution")
- Strain the plant matter through cheesecloth, then through a
paper coffee filter
- Add 10-15% of the mass of the solution in a "defatting solvent"
such as methylene chloride, ether, chloroform, or naptha.
[However, see this warning
- Shake vigorously
- The crap will go into the solvent, leaving the good stuff in
- Separate the water from the solvent.
- Add a base to the aqueous solution in small increments until the
pH gets to about 9 or 10. This converts the alkaloids into their
- Extract with 10% of the mass of the solution of an organic
solvent four times, at one 24-hour and then three weekly intervals.
The solvent layer will take on a darker tint, usually yellowish
or reddish-brown. It will take almost a month to extract all of
the alkaloids, and the solution should be shaken at least twice
a day between extractions.
- Evaporate the solvent off from the combined extract fractions.
You now have the alkaloids.
As a footnote, he tried similar stuff with
Arundo donax and got some
really nasty reactions from whatever other crud was in the plant. I'm
gonna cross this one off of my list.
This page produced by the Sputnik
Drug Information Zone. You can contact us at