July 25, 2014, 08:56:29 am

Author Topic: morphine extraction from poppy seed tea  (Read 2146 times)

morphine extraction from poppy seed tea
« on: December 12, 2005, 01:23:00 pm »
in a dream i found this note i think it said:I am new to this site and i have some knowledge in the pharmaceutical area thanks to my dad being a pharmasist and him giving me his old books and i was reading this section in Remington's Pharmaceutical Sciences on the preperation for morphine. this is the general idea of the entry:Opium alkaloids are extracted one of two methods this one not involving calcium chloride(so it is prob. easyer)the opium is mixed wit acid water and concentrated and mixedwith alchahol and made strongly alkaline with ammonia. the morphine being but slightly soluable in dilute alchahol seperates out while the other alkaloids remain in the solution the crude morphine is purified and if needed in the presence of alchahol    sooo i was wondering if the crude opium from(3000G)of poppy seeds could be turend into morphine by using this process and if not it would work from the plant grown from the seeds in a backyard.

Offline DrYRHead

• Uberator
  • Ultimate Contributor
  • Sally as the cave
    • http://www.elfstarstudios.com/rabbit-hole.html
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2005, 02:36:00 pm »
It would not really be a synth. It would be an extraction. However, unless one had a huge amounts of seeds, it would not be worth while anyway.
DrYRHead

Welcome to the rabbit hole.

Offline morethoth

• Even More Contributor
    • http://n/a
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2005, 09:39:00 pm »
do you know what strain of poppy you've got?

an extraction from seed is more labourious than i could ever handle, definatly grow the buggers if appropriate. otherwise its crazy.
a morphine extraction is quite simple but i think, only sensible from a raw opium source, not seeds. all you really need is hydrochloric acid, ether and ammonium to get most derivitives including H.  
And a thousand thousand slimy things lived on; and so did i.
-rime of the ancient mariner-

Offline morethoth

• Even More Contributor
    • http://n/a
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2005, 09:41:00 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by DrYRHead:
It would not really be a synth. It would be an extraction. However, unless one had a huge amounts of seeds, it would not be worth while anyway.

pedant!  
And a thousand thousand slimy things lived on; and so did i.
-rime of the ancient mariner-

Offline charlie ward

• Minimal Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2005, 03:36:00 am »
Unfortunately there isnt really enough morphine content in seed to make it worthwhile, poppy straw on the other hand would probably work much better, so sow those seeds and youll be happier.
 Cheers
Charliewired

Offline sageman_001

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2005, 05:31:00 am »
are there different types of poppies that produce different effects? if so, hypothetically, what gives the best effect?
thanx for the help
As santa reached into his magic shaman bag, he pulled out a divine gift, the magic sage...

Offline The_MadScientist

• Even More Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2005, 12:54:00 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by morethoth:
all you really need is hydrochloric acid, ether and ammonium to get most derivitives including H.

I think you need acetic acid to make heroin (Diacetylmorphine).  The acetic provides the two acetyl groups.  Im no expert though.

Offline PharmBoy

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2005, 01:34:00 pm »
Morphine from straw seems elusive. In theory it should work.. I was following extraction threads over at poppies.org and seems that people are having trouble extracting M from straw. Good thing too  

Foaf stays away from opiates, he knows better. but check poppies.org - they are close.. Seems that exact ph and reagent quality chems may be part of the key.

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2005, 02:35:00 pm »
heroin is produced when heated with acetyl chloride

Offline DrYRHead

• Uberator
  • Ultimate Contributor
  • Sally as the cave
    • http://www.elfstarstudios.com/rabbit-hole.html
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2005, 03:05:00 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by morethoth:
do you know what strain of poppy you've got?

an extraction from seed is more labourious than i could ever handle, definatly grow the buggers if appropriate. otherwise its crazy.
a morphine extraction is quite simple but i think, only sensible from a raw opium source, not seeds. all you really need is hydrochloric acid, ether and ammonium to get most derivitives including H.    

Ether could be substituted for a safer, less explosive, NP solvent. Also one would need acetalyne anhydride to get H.
DrYRHead

Welcome to the rabbit hole.

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2005, 03:20:00 pm »
O it said acetyl chloride in remingtons 16th edition theres prob other ways to make H, acetyl chloride is prob the most exact(for pharmaceutical grade  before they C-1 ed it)i really dont even know much about aceytl chloride im just sayin what i read in the book.

Offline PharmBoy

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2005, 03:51:00 pm »
foaf doesn't know firsthand, but has read that  acetyl chloride or acetic anhydride can be used to make heroin from m.

Offline charlie ward

• Minimal Contributor
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2005, 01:57:00 am »
poppy straw is an expression in he industry and pharm chem for ground up poppy head{seed free} and the top portions of the stems. FYI
 Cheers
Charliewired

Offline Blase Deviant

• Even More Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2006, 10:17:00 am »
This is a bit of a sidenote, but I've always wondered if it was feasible to make poppy tea from pods and then boil it down to a resin and smoke it?

I heard this done, but it was a less than credible source.

I understand real opium is 'cured' somehow, is there anyway to boil pod tea down to a goo and then convert it to a smokable product?

I ask because pods vary highly in content, and your only options orally are risking an OD, or else waiting 45-60 min. between doses to see how strong it is, which means it's not going to hit you very hard at all.

Whereas smoking, you take one hit or two and know how strong it is after I dunno... 5 minutes?
So differently divine...
All details are of course, as best I can remember, happenings from the intricate dream life of a fictional character I made up...

Offline Dr. Faustus

• ubergeek
  • Lycaeum Addict
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2006, 03:14:00 pm »
acetalyne anhydride

Acetic anhydride, not acetalyne anhydride.
"I feel more like I do now than I did when I got here!"

~Uncle Dave~