October 20, 2014, 10:56:45 am

Author Topic: Purifying Cocaine  (Read 5279 times)

Offline delysiduous

• vampirator
  • Uberator
  • Ubercontributor
Purifying Cocaine
« on: February 26, 2007, 08:19:08 am »
What are the best solvents/reagents to use to purify street cocaine?
Like a true nature's child
We were born, born to be wild
We can climb so high
I never wanna die

Offline Dr. Faustus

• ubergeek
  • Lycaeum Addict
Re: Purifying Cocaine
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2007, 02:17:56 pm »
From Erowid - http://www.erowid.org/archive/rhodium/chemistry/cocaine.illicit.production.html

"As was noted before, diethyl ether/acetone 1:1 is the classic solvent combination for the crystallization process. However, due to the current difficulties in obtaining acetone and (especially) diethyl ether in South America, use of alternate solvents or solvent mixtures for the above A + B addition procedure is quite common. The critical factors in solvent mixture composition are:

Solubility of coke base in solvent A;
Miscibility of solvent B with concentrated hydrochloric acid; and
Insolubility of cocaine hydrochloride in the combined A + B solvent mixture.
Unsubstantiated reports suggest that laboratory operators select solvent mixtures based on density; i.e., by attempting to match the "ideal" densities of diethyl ether (0.715 g/mL), acetone (0.795 g/mL) and diethyl ether/acetone 1:1 (ca. 0.755 g/mL). The most common solvents currently identified in illicit cocaine include (in approximate order of importance): methyl ethyl ketone, toluene, methylene chloride, ethyl acetate, aliphatic hydrocarbons (hexanes, etc.), acetone, benzene, methyl acetate, isobutyl alcohol, and diethyl ether4,28,32. Use of standard industrial, cleaning, or processing solvent mixtures, e.g., ESSO 10/20, is also common. The overall effects of the use of these alternate solvents on the impurity profile of the resulting cocaine hydrochloride is under current investigation at this laboratory."

"I feel more like I do now than I did when I got here!"

~Uncle Dave~

Offline delysiduous

• vampirator
  • Uberator
  • Ubercontributor
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2007, 06:01:41 pm »
So ideally, a 1:1 mix of ether/acetone, both anhydrous?
We can climb so high
I never wanna die

Offline Cozmicallicio

• Lycaeum Team Leader
  • Ultracontributor
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2007, 07:35:06 pm »
Im not expert, but with all the additive cuts in street coke theses days, how can we ensure a purified coke yield if we are not sure that the cut is soluble in diethyl ether/ acetone?  (its an honest question)

Offline gorfehttimrek

• Ultracontributor
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2007, 09:18:53 pm »
 :evil:

Oh my.  A question of purity for the Black Market business types?  How ever will they field it?  Will the FDA step in and specify purity standards?

Forgive my sarcasm, but basically we are "on our own" in that respect.  Vitamin C and mannitol and several other common cuts have different solubility profiles and can be used as a logical guess when performing this dream experiment.  However, there is no end to the list of SHIT that could be used to cut with.

Buyer Beware,
Kermit 8-)
any spell cast for evil comes back upon you

be you vampire, hurter of nature, or obsessed with poo   (friend copyright 2011_)

Offline Cozmicallicio

• Lycaeum Team Leader
  • Ultracontributor
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2007, 08:31:13 am »
Will the FDA step in and specify purity standards?

With some degree of irony, that could be nice.

Offline Jah PM

• Prefers DROWNING to falling from a height!
  • Uberator
  • Ubercontributor
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2007, 10:59:18 am »
However, given that pure cocaine is supposedly odorless, and the fact that most blow does have that same chemical smell to it, it should be easy to identify some pretty common cuts, no?
Originally posted by Misanthropy:
This begs the question though: What of my poor right nipple!? Is it to be neglected? Not to mention my balls! MY BALLS, DAMN YOU!!!

Offline delysiduous

• vampirator
  • Uberator
  • Ubercontributor
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2007, 11:08:16 am »
I don't know the answers to those questions. :cry:  I was curious about a novel purification, for a very small quantity, nothing serious. 

Will NaOH work fine to convert the salt to freebase?  Any particular reason bicarbonate is usually used, other than availability?  Ammonia maybe?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 11:14:21 am by delysiduous »
We can climb so high
I never wanna die

Offline Cozmicallicio

• Lycaeum Team Leader
  • Ultracontributor
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2007, 11:18:52 am »
Ive heard of amonia being better then baking soda, but have never attempted the latter.  I believe the only reason to rock it is to smoke it.  If your aiming to do that, then there is probably some good info just a few clicks away if no one here knows exactly.

Offline delysiduous

• vampirator
  • Uberator
  • Ubercontributor
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2007, 12:20:03 am »
No basing, was just theoretically interested in trying some pure llallo.
We can climb so high
I never wanna die

Offline Cozmicallicio

• Lycaeum Team Leader
  • Ultracontributor
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2007, 09:33:03 am »
keep looking and if u find out how, let a brother know

Offline delysiduous

• vampirator
  • Uberator
  • Ubercontributor
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2007, 11:38:47 am »
Well, it's not really very difficult, I think. 

First thing to do would probably be to dissolve the coke in warm water.  Then filter to get rid of any insoluble impurites.  Then add an equimolar amount of base, NH3 or NaOH both sound fine imo.   This will convert the cocaine(and some other stuff) into the freebase form.  Freebasae coke is not soluble in water, but from what I understand amphetamine bases and the like are.  So there would be some cocaine freebase precipitate.  Then one would extract the freebase from the water with ether, acetone, or a similar solvent.  Anhydrous, if possible, for highest yield.  Separate the two layers, and discard the aq. phase(maybe save it for a bit just to make sure you dont lose any product).  Dropwise addition of HCl until the solution is just acidic will convert the cocaine back into the salt form, which is insoluble in non-polar solvents and will precipitate from the solution.  Small scale recrystallization techniques should give some sexy looking crystals, which can than be filtered out of the solution, and washed with cold non-polar solvent.  MP analysis would be enough to satisfy me, but you could go the extra mile and do IR or GC or TLC or w/e to make sure you got the goodies.

The only thing that worries me about this process is the step where you convert the coke back to the salt form.  It has such a high solubility in water, something like almost 2g/ml I think, so wouldn't any concentration of aqueous acid result in the product being dissolved in the aqueous layer, no matter how small it is?  Only thing I can thing of would be bubbling pure HCl gas through the solution, but that seems like it would be considerably more preparation/work than the other way.

Any thoughts/suggestions?
We can climb so high
I never wanna die

Offline Cozmicallicio

• Lycaeum Team Leader
  • Ultracontributor
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2007, 03:21:13 pm »
Im not absolutely certain that everything you said makes sense to me, as I have very little experience or knowledge.

Only thing I can thing of would be bubbling pure HCl gas through the solution, but that seems like it would be considerably more preparation/work than the other way.

Bubbling HCl is as easy as a few capfools of 27% HCL - Muriatic Acid in a 20 ounce coke bottle, add Al foil pieces one inch square, with a tube running out of the lid, feed the other end of the tube to the aqueous coke solution. (theory only)

Offline delysiduous

• vampirator
  • Uberator
  • Ubercontributor
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2007, 08:41:38 am »
Im not absolutely certain that everything you said makes sense to me, as I have very little experience or knowledge.

Bubbling HCl is as easy as a few capfools of 27% HCL - Muriatic Acid in a 20 ounce coke bottle, add Al foil pieces one inch square, with a tube running out of the lid, feed the other end of the tube to the aqueous coke solution. (theory only)

I think that reacting transition metals with HCl makes hydrogen gas and a metal chloride salt.
We can climb so high
I never wanna die

Offline Dr. Faustus

• ubergeek
  • Lycaeum Addict
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2007, 11:33:16 pm »
I agree. This would not produce HCl. A dehydrating agent is required, such as conc. H2SO4.

~Uncle Dave~

Offline Cozmicallicio

• Lycaeum Team Leader
  • Ultracontributor
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2007, 09:35:49 am »
All I know is that after afoaf made H3PO2, E-fed, and I2 meth about 7 years ago, she would have her meth in coleman fuel after cooking and basifying, then bubble the gas through a tube into it that resulting from the Al foil and Muriatic Acid mixture, which would neutralize the heavily basic solution and cause a white precipitate which I was told was meth, and those idiots told me the gas was HCl gas.  Believe me, I am highly more inclined to believe you Dely and Dr over those tweaks. 

« Last Edit: March 04, 2007, 09:37:41 am by Nootropic »

Offline delysiduous

• vampirator
  • Uberator
  • Ubercontributor
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2007, 02:03:27 pm »
I agree. This would not produce HCl. A dehydrating agent is required, such as conc. H2SO4.

What minimum concentration of sulfuric would you recommend for maximum yields, doc?

Speaking of dehydrating agents, would it be possible to just add sufficient quantities of a dessicant to the solution before putting anything aqueous into play?
We can climb so high
I never wanna die

Offline Dr. Faustus

• ubergeek
  • Lycaeum Addict
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2007, 08:54:40 pm »
What minimum concentration of sulfuric would you recommend for maximum yields, doc?

For maximum yield...maximum concentration. I tried it once, when I had run out of anhydrous hydrogen chloride gas. I put concentrated HCl over NaCl, and then added dropwise concentrated H2SO4.

~Uncle Dave~

Offline delysiduous

• vampirator
  • Uberator
  • Ubercontributor
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2007, 10:03:38 am »
How bout just boiling off the water after acidifying with aqueous acid?  The meltiing point of the product is high enough that is shouldnt be affected at all by boiling water temperatures, right?
We can climb so high
I never wanna die

Offline Cozmicallicio

• Lycaeum Team Leader
  • Ultracontributor
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2007, 12:35:29 pm »
How bout just boiling off the water after acidifying with aqueous acid?  The meltiing point of the product is high enough that is shouldnt be affected at all by boiling water temperatures, right?

Not sure about the answer, but pouring it into a clean glass oven dish and slowly dehydrating it below waters boiling point will theoretically suffice and provide an easy means to scrape up into your storing container once dried.

Offline LisbonAcid

• Minimal Contributor
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2007, 04:28:42 pm »
anhydrous MgSO4 in an organic phase works beautifully, forming a nice bubble of water around the flakes. epsom salt is hydrated MgSO4. i believe i've read baking the powder for an extended duration can yield anhydrous for use in similar applications.
look inside yourself

Offline delysiduous

• vampirator
  • Uberator
  • Ubercontributor
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2007, 08:42:29 am »
anhydrous MgSO4 in an organic phase works beautifully, forming a nice bubble of water around the flakes. epsom salt is hydrated MgSO4. i believe i've read baking the powder for an extended duration can yield anhydrous for use in similar applications.

Are you talking specifically about cocaine?
We can climb so high
I never wanna die

Offline garageflower

• Fledgling Contributor
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2007, 12:04:54 pm »
Hello
I read in a thread elsewhere some time ago(bluelight?) that the best chems to use are Chloroform and Acetone
I believe you Extract the Cocaine with the Chloroform, filter, discard filter and the crap thats in it, and evaporate.
Whats left is then Washed with Acetone and whatever's left on the filter will be pure chop

I don't know anyone who's tried this yet.

if i remember right, the crap thats left in the first filter is your lithocaines and dentistry type stuff and the acetone washes away the amphetamine caffine ect

untill the sky turns green and the grass several shades of blue, every member of parliment trips on glue

Offline LisbonAcid

• Minimal Contributor
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2007, 09:51:33 pm »
Are you talking specifically about cocaine?

no. only removing water from organic layers. my only practice with this is with non-recreational freebase products in Et2O
look inside yourself

Offline tryp2fun

• "Not to be used for anything else."
  • Forum Spammer
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2007, 08:20:12 am »
For maximum yield...maximum concentration. I tried it once, when I had run out of anhydrous hydrogen chloride gas. I put concentrated HCl over NaCl, and then added dropwise concentrated H2SO4.

I'm tired of fooling around with those nasty HCl cylinders.  Once I had the valve break off and it filled the lab with HCl.  Usually people in my lab don't take the needle valve off and clean it and it gets corroded until you can't open it any more.  Now I have a bunch of those old half-empty HCl lecture bottles in the lab and can't get rid of them.  So, now we generate it the old-fashioned way.  The correct way to do it is to put conc. HCl in an addition funnel fitted with a piece of rubber tubing and a Pasteur pipet so that the outlet is below the level of the conc. H2SO4 in the bottom flask.  Then, you stir the H2SO4 slowly as you open the stopcock to let the HCl enter.  You can control the amount of HCl gas very precisely by adjusting the stopcock to control the flow of conc. HCl.  You should ideally bubble the gas stream through an H2SO4 trap to remove any water that might have gotten away.  This actually comes from a paper in JACS in 1917. :-D