October 21, 2014, 09:45:37 pm

Author Topic: doxylamine trip??  (Read 3628 times)

Offline bromine

• Not Approved by the FDA
  • Even More Contributor
doxylamine trip??
« on: September 17, 2010, 11:12:57 pm »
this is entirely fictional of course

A crow of mine that some of my trip reports account for one day decided to eat a bunch of doxylamine(about 20 or 25 unisoms) now i had always figured that the stuff never really did much other then sort-of induce sleep, i took about 3 or 4 a few times to attempt some sleep after ingesting things that disrupted sleep and didnt really help me sleep that well
anyways
this crow one day decided to fly down and buy a box of unisoms and eat all of them i think... he reported hallucinations, a girl walking across the street waving, everything appeared to be smoky and foggy he said, and at one point we caught him walking around outside talking to himself some...
so whats the deal with this stuff?
"If you don't start showing some peace, love, and unity, I'll break your fucking faces" -Frankie Bones

Offline gorfehttimrek

• Ultracontributor
Re: doxylamine trip??
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 11:40:56 pm »

so whats the deal with this stuff?

It's a DRUG.    Don't do drugs Mmmkay.   Drugs are bad.
any spell cast for evil comes back upon you

be you vampire, hurter of nature, or obsessed with poo   (friend copyright 2011_)

Offline bromine

• Even More Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 11:47:40 pm »
yes they are
so are poisonous spiders and arsenic
anyways

whats the action going on here anybody know?
"If you don't start showing some peace, love, and unity, I'll break your fucking faces" -Frankie Bones

Offline biochemist

• Ubercontributor
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2010, 12:15:57 am »
Diphenhydramine trips are bad news.  It can bring on hallucinations in high doses, but it is a very bad, uncomfortable high as you might now know.

I don't think any mechanism is known for why it makes you hallucinate, obviously the drug interacts with something in your brain to do it, but there is little interest in studying it. 

My suggestion is to find a safer hallucinogen that you don't need to take an absurd overdose of to get effects.  You can probably find more information about diphenhydramine if you are interested at erowid.org.

Offline bromine

• Even More Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2010, 01:08:06 am »
oh i know about diphenhydramine from all the times getting poison ivy
but i think he said he took the unisoms that are doxylamine succinate

Offline jc

• Voted Most Likey To; "be at fault"
  • Lycaeum Addict
  • 10 foot & bulletproof
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2010, 06:30:51 am »
doxylamine is just like diph except they are more sedating and aboout twice the potency by weight.
Only the lost can find direction.

Offline foreward

• Ubercontributor
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2010, 06:54:38 am »
They are anticholinergic, similar to jimson weed and scopolamine.

At lower doses, doxylamine is a significant hypnotic, at higher doses anticholinergics cause hallucinations. I have read that high doses do disrupt sleep, people tend to wake up evrey so often, look around, pass out, only to wake up again a few minutes later. Some people, especially children, might become euphoric on higher doses. Most people just get sleepy and irritable, but don't sleep well

From my experience the hallucinations are 100% integrated. You can't really tell the difference between them and reality. Antichilinergics produce true hallucinations, and are the only hallucinogens that I know of that are capable of this. This might SOUND fascinating, but it's not. It just like every day life. Every day life that is really anxious, sleepy and jumpy, with weird stuff that goes on around you - but, you don't really even realize it's weird. Pretty much the only thing you notice is the anxiety. Even today I don't know how much of what I saw while using diphenhydramine/diphenhydranate was actually a hallucination. The stuff lacks novelty entirely. Hallucinations are tend to be people, animals, bugs, and other everyday objects. Smokers tend to smoke phantom cigarettes.

They can be dangerous. Aside from their tendency to fuck up your heart, you have no way to know if you are hallucinating or not, because of this a person might interact with the hallucination in ways that might cause injury. There really is no safe way to trip on anticholinergics. They are pretty unpredictable. No matter how experienced you think that you might be, nothing can prepare you for them as you cannot distinguish where the trip begins and ends.

Aside from anxiety and being easily startled, thee drugs are completely devoid of all emotional context. This is a good thing, really. If one were to be paranoid it could get very bad. But it doesn't make for a very fun or useful experience. Many people who are new to hallucinogens mistakenly believe the visuals are the primary aspect of the psychedelic process, and read that anticholinergics are unique in that they produce true hallucinations. However, there is no psychic context in these visions. They are as uninteresting as everyday life - no matter how bizarre.

When used/abused similar to other hypnotics, doxylamine can be kind of fun as a body fuck.Taking 50-100mg with alcohol is fairly euphoric and mentally stimulating, while physically relaxing. I don't know how dangerous this combo is, but common sense says to limit your alcohol consumption. I drank 1 shot Everclear (equivalent to about 2 shots 80-proof) and was thoroughly fucked with 100mg doxylamine.

(ETA: The cocktail was drank over a 15-30 minute period. I wouldn't slam a couple shots of vodka with doxylamine in your system and expect the same result since drinking over time will result in lower BAC. Note that I was thoroughly plastered. Usually 1 shot Everclear will get me pretty buzzed or mildly drunk. That evening I was pretty much falling over drunk. If you're going to be stupid like this, at least be smart about it and approach with caution. Stay safe.)

But as for using anticholinercs as a hallucinogen, I can appreciate your intrigue. But save yourself the trouble. These chemicals are just not worth it. In fact the only OTC that is, IMO, is DXM.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 08:05:16 am by foreward »
I've seen it happen in other people's lives, and now it's happening in mine. -The Smiths

Offline jc

• Voted Most Likey To; "be at fault"
  • Lycaeum Addict
  • 10 foot & bulletproof
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2010, 07:01:39 am »
1 shot of everclear isn't equivilent to 40 shots of 80proof... 

damn you making my look crazy
Only the lost can find direction.

Offline foreward

• Ubercontributor
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2010, 07:06:19 am »
I reread and corrected, bro :)

LOL, 40 shots 80 proof would kill anyone who isn't alcohol dependent.
I've seen it happen in other people's lives, and now it's happening in mine. -The Smiths

Offline housearrestee

• Sociopathic Chameleon
  • Ubercontributor
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2010, 07:35:27 am »
its not equivalent to 4 shots either...if i had to guess, off the top of my head, no calculator, i would say its 2.5 shots  :-P
He was filled with the heedless, tender violence of a man who has had his lifetime cruelly wasted.
~Kurty Vonnegut

Offline foreward

• Ubercontributor
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2010, 07:50:07 am »
oh. lol. yeah. I was thinking 40% and 180 proof, rounding down. This is prob where "40 shots" came from. No wonder why 1 shot Everclear (alone) will get me only buzzed.

Will correct, again. Sorry bromine for the sidetracking of your post into a discussion over bad math. So uhm. Anyway, Doxy...
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 07:57:48 am by foreward »

Offline delysiduous

• vampirator
  • Uberator
  • Ubercontributor
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2010, 08:33:16 am »
Great post foreward, very informative.  I've always been interested in the "true" hallucinations said to be attainable with diphenhydramine, datura, etc, but I was never motivated enough to try them.  I guess I can pretty much write them off of my things to do list, lol.
Like a true nature's child
We were born, born to be wild
We can climb so high
I never wanna die

Offline foreward

• Ubercontributor
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2010, 09:28:46 am »
It's hard to explain why the anticholinergic "trip" is so uninteresting. It seems every time I try, people end up more interested! I think to sum it up is that you don't actually take a trip at all. You feel pretty normal. Just groggy, irritable, kind of depressed and jumpy. Stuff goes on around you that you might piece together as a hallucination, but it all comes across as mundane.

I once saw a sock creeping along outside by itself. But this didn't come across as ironic, humorous or strange. Still to this day my memory of the event isn't at all fascinating. It was just a sock, it happened to be wiggling across the ground, my only question about it at the time was weather was my sock or not. (kind of a dull question to ask given the scenario).

Again, this sounds interesting. But it's really not at all. It really makes a better story. There was nothing really special about it, it seemed, and strangely still seems, a very ordinary event.

But also that was the only bizarre event. Usually the events I think were hallucinations are just people acting strangely, like strangers being extremely hostile and shouting obscenities at me one minute, and then just going about their ordinar business the next, or being at places where they wouldn't likely be at, like a funeral home at 10:30pm.

Both if those examples may have been real or misinterpreted. Still to this day I have no idea, and the events again remain totally mundane in my memory.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 10:20:59 am by foreward »

Offline Dr. Toxicophilous

• "His body has more holes than his alibi"
  • Ubercontributor
  • ΨΦ Alumni!
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2010, 12:52:23 pm »
I've never purposefully tried doxylamine or dimenhydrinate, but I've had diphenhydramine, angel trumpet and some other nightshades.

I don't find diphenhydramine to be a bad experience most of the time, personally, just mundane and somehow off as you said. Although I've had a few uncomfortable experiences which I tried to offset by ingesting other things.

There is some kind of disinterest in the weird stuff that I might see or hear, but I've always still known that I took whatever it was that I took and that's what's going on.

I still have some standardized belladonna tincture by spectrum labs kicking around somewhere and I've been meaning to experiment with it over the years. It is old however, at least a decade, but I don't really see that affecting potency or composition too much, if at all... 
Perplext no more with Human or Divine,
To-morrow's tangle to the winds resign,
And lose your fingers in the tresses of
The Cypress-slender Minister of Wine.
-Omar Khayyam

><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. >((((º>

Offline bromine

• Even More Contributor
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2010, 01:45:59 am »
oh i've heard some strange stuff on diphenhydramine i used to get the feeling that somebody was walking around outside  but i've eatin doxylamine to actually try to sleep and i never really could tell anything at all goin on

Offline foreward

• Ubercontributor
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2010, 07:17:40 am »
Well. In the context of doxy as a hallucinogen, you're very lucky. Perhaps for me anticholinergics would be more interesting if they weren't so damn sedating. Doxy will put me to sleep within 15-30min.

Offline DrYRHead

• Uberator
  • Ultimate Contributor
  • Sally as the cave
    • http://www.elfstarstudios.com/rabbit-hole.html
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2010, 03:36:37 pm »
doxylamine is just like diph except they are more sedating and aboout twice the potency by weight.

Doxylamine did not cause as much dry eyes and mouth as DPH.
DrYRHead

Welcome to the rabbit hole.

Offline bromine

• Even More Contributor
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2010, 07:54:36 pm »
oh i'll believe it diphenhydramine always dried my eyes out

Offline DrYRHead

• Uberator
  • Ultimate Contributor
  • Sally as the cave
    • http://www.elfstarstudios.com/rabbit-hole.html
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2010, 07:55:31 am »
its not equivalent to 4 shots either...if i had to guess, off the top of my head, no calculator, i would say its 2.5 shots  :-P

Yep, that would be about right.
DrYRHead

Welcome to the rabbit hole.

Offline foreward

• Ubercontributor
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2010, 08:19:22 am »
not this again...

Offline bromine

• Even More Contributor
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2010, 06:16:44 pm »
theres definitely nothing worth the time that you can find on shelves...
DXM was just a fluke lol