The PF TEK is basically a brown rice
method with an improved formula by using
vermiculite as a base and adding pulverized
brown rice. The secret is in the vermiculite.
When mycelium is cultured in just grain, the
mycelium turns into a mass with little air
space. But when grown with vermiculite,
the mycelial threads stretch across space.
The important thing about the PF TEK, is
that it copies nature. Instead of the usual
cloning of mushroom tissue and growing
mushrooms from that, a mass spore
inoculation is employed directly to the
fruiting substrate. That way, the genotype
remains complete. Senescence (mutating
and ceased fruiting) is no longer a problem.
The spores insure a never ending
succession of fungus, with all the power of
the spores reproductive ability intact.
OVERVIEW OF PF TECHNIQUES
1. Brown rice powder, vermiculite and
distilled water are mixed and loaded into a
1/2 pint jar, which is steam sterilized. The
jar is then inoculated by the spore syringe.
2. After the substrate cake in the jar
colonizes and begins to show signs of
fruiting, the cake is released from the jar
and placed into the dual chambered
terrarium to fruit.
3. A mature mushroom is decapitated and
spore printed in a jar.
4. Spore syringes are prepared with the
spore print jar to begin another life cycle.
BASIC MATERIALS LIST FOR
PF jar preparation and culturing (Stage
(Domestic products - supermarket -
department - drugstore - hardware store)
1. Measuring cups and spoons
2. Large pot for steaming
3. Shoulderless half-pint jars with lids (Kerr
4. Organic brown rice flour (organic food
5. Horticultural vermiculite (medium or fine
grade - not powdery)
6. Distilled or filtered drinking water
7. Heavy duty tin foil
8. Heavy duty (professional grade) masking
9. Ice pick (for punching needle holes in the
culture jar lid)
Mushroom growing (Stage two)
Pet shop - Hardware store
1. 10 gallon aquarium
2. Cut piece of transparent plastic
(Plexiglas) - (terrarium chamber partition)
3. Strips of wood with connectors and
screws (terrarium lid)
4. Plastic film and thumb tacks (terrarium
5. Small wall type thermometer
6. "All purpose" water spray bottle with an
adjustable nozzle (hardware and grocery
stores). Procure one that gives a good
strong spray for instant humidification.
Avoid recycled kitchen product sprayers.
This is a critical piece of equipment. Only a
good quality sprayer (a couple of dollars at
a hardware store) can immediately
supercharge the dual chambered terrarium
with high humidity.
7. Wire screen - plastic containers - plastic
bags - (drying mushrooms)
8. DESICCANT (drying mushrooms)
(scientific - chemical - lab supply)
Spore printing and spore syringe
making (Stage three)
1. Micro curved cuticle (finger nail) scissors
(cosmetics - drug store)
2. Denatured alcohol (fuel - hardware
3. Tequila shot glass and eye dropper
(sterilizing and flaming)
4. Glass stirring rod (Scientific supply)
5. Plastic syringes (10cc or bigger) and 18
gauge 1 1/2 inch needles.
Large sized syringes are good (20cc - 65cc)
as well as extra long needles if available.
(Retail medical - health supply - pharmacies
- drug stores - scientific and lab supply)